Thursday, April 18, 2013

Easy DIY Baby Gifts



I'm cheap.  I'm talking really cheap.  I don't spend money unless I have to spend.... like literally.  It's sort of always how I've been.  Or maybe I've just always been poor.  Isn't that a saying, something like, "Necessity breeds ingenuity."  Well, I'm no genius, but these projects have saved me tons of trips to the baby aisle, AND they're fun to make!  I should also say majority of these have been inspired by the one and only Pinterest, but some were translated... or malformed in some cases.

Here are the pics and info if I've got it.

 "burp" Burp cloths. Gave it to the momma with matching BOW burp cloths.  I used just the regular burp cloth tutorial, but before I made them, I cut out the letters, sewed them on, then made the bows with this tutorial and attached them really fast with a quick stitch.  Gave them as a cute set!




Here's a set! It's a "Bath Apron" with bath mit and then 2 onesies, one with a tie and one with a bow.  It was a boy's baby shower (in fact! he was just born yesterday!!  Congrats Migi!)  and there is not a ton of stuff out there to make for boys, so I made a regular thing INTO a boy thing with the fabric I chose!  It's got skateboards and... bikes and.... other... boy things!  Haha, not sure quite how to describe the testosterone in this fabric.
I took this pin: 
and decided it was pretty simple to replicate a pattern.  I made some quick "bias" tape (I say "bias" tape because I didn't cut the fabric on the bias like you're s'posed to.  BECAUSE I'm cheap! and I don't want to waste any fabric cutting part of it off just so it can be lopsided!).  I folded the towel in half, cut the corner off and set it aside for the mit.  I added a panel of the very boyish fabric to the front like is pictured.  I sewed the "bias" tape on as it shows in the picture along the edges of the towel.  I didn't make it cross in the back, though.  I just did a simple loop for the head and then followed the bias tape down to the hip area and finished the edge of the bias tape. Easy!
For the mit, I just rounded the corners of the leftover towel fabric, sewed on a small panel for the front.  With right sides together, I sewed it together in a U shape, flipped it right side out and VIOLA!  Coordinating Bath Mit!

For the shirts, I just combined a few pins like THIS ONE and THIS ONE and whipped them together!
(can't you see the skater dude.  so BOY!)








Here are the pins I sourced these ideas from: Tag Letter link (except I filled mine with poly-fil.  Rice Noodle link (I call it a Snoodle.  Get it? Snuggle Noodle! bah!) Self-binding baby blanket link  and then I made a wash cloth the same way I make the burp cloths... just smaller!  (p.s. it was totally by accident because I cut the fabric too short for a full length burp cloth.  Wash cloth it is!  (I'm embarassingly cheap)).

a little tie blanket with the baby's letter!  This one was a personal creation!  I made blankets for my little sisters (they were in high school at the time) and decided to convert to baby size!  I drew out a letter, cut the fabric, machine sewed on, then did a hand stitch to make it pretty, then tied it!
This I made for my little lady.  I used the fabric crayons and just made it look like paper!  Here's the pin.



OK.. so it's 11:30p and I am just now realizing that I've made too much stuff to fit in tonights post.  this will have to resume later on! nighty night.

No comments: