Monday, June 24, 2013

Taffy fail turned in to tie score.

It's Make-it-Monday.  So we made some....thing.  Not the original thing I was going for, but went with it.  Sort of.


We're trying to do fun stuff together.  Play, create, learn, and laugh.  We saw this recipe on this pin and wanted to put it together.


Everything started out as planned.  Teamwork while we added the ingredients, mixed it up and watched the thermometer.  We even got a quick science lesson in about thermometers and why they work!

We let the temperature rise to 260.  Then I added root beer extract since we didn't have any flavored oils.  Poured it on to wax paper like another recipe said to do and let it cool for about 5 minutes.

When I came back to check, it seemed to be stuck to the wax paper!  What?!  I managed to peel some off and then started to pull the taffy like the directions said.  Within a few minutes, the "taffy" was so hard, I couldn't pull it anymore.  Now that's saying quite a bit because I spent 10 years pulling an oar down rivers across the eastern United States.  I can pull me some stuff!  Not this "taffy!"  My son and his friend tried to do it also and couldn't get past a couple pulls before it was too hard for them.  I don't know if it was letting it cook to 260 degrees or the extract instead of a flavored oil... but either way, don't do what I did.

By that time, baby girl was so annoyed and hungry, I went to feed her.  By the time I got back, my Root Beer "taffy" had become Root Beer hard candy... that was stuck to wax paper.  I got some of it off that just so happened to be in the middle of a huge chunk, but there's only about a half cup of it.  So unless anyone wants to lick the stuff off the wax paper, this creation is going in the t.r.a.s.h.


No comments: